Coach Gernot Rohr
he NFF will sit at the table with Coach Rohr, sometime in January 2020, to evaluate his work so far as Super Eagles' coach and to discuss a possible contract extension for the amiable and affable Franco-German tactician.
The feelers so far indicate he would most likely get a contract extension, under normal circumstances, based on his performance so far. And of course, as long as the devil in the details don't upset the apple cart!
Me thinks Coach Rohr deserves to stay on as coach of the Super Eagles of Nigeria, as the title of this piece suggests, at least till the 2022 World cup competition in Qatar!
Here are the reasons why yours sincerely is of this opinion:
- The Super Eagles of Nigeria have known a steady upward march under his tutelage, since the inception of his coaching engagement with Nigeria three years ago. For example, the Super Eagles were the 66th best team in the World and 14th best team in Africa, when he took over in August 2016. Presently, the Super Eagles of Nigeria are the 33rd best team on the planet and the third best team in Africa!
- The selection of the Super Eagles' players is strictly on the basis of merit. Sentiments or other subjective considerations, don't play a role in his judgement. The selection of the players to the last AFCON tournament was on merit. Yours sincerely challenges anyone who has a contrary opinion, to make it known. Coach Rohr's preoccupation is to make a name for himself as Super Eagles' coach. He said his ambition has always been to coach a big nation. Now he has the opportunity, with a big nation, with highly talented players, he has apparently decided to take his opportunity with both hands!
- Coach Rohr, unlike a typical German coach, is not "tactically dogmatic"! He is flexible in his tactical choices and, thus, exhibits: "tactical flexibility" and "- adaptability"! As a consequence, the Super Eagles play in many formations: 4-3-3, 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1, 4-5-1, 3-5-2 and of course 3-4-3! Which makes them less predictable and, thus, more difficult to confront by opponents.
- He communicates well with the press and public alike. In order words, he understands like no other, the 'language' of the press. There was a German coach who coached the Super Eagles some ten years ago, who had a hectic time with the Nigerian press, because of his poor/ arrogant communication methods!
- He, apparently, has a good working relationship with the Nigerian soccer governing body: the NFF.
- He is not too expensive as coach. There are foreign African coaches who earn more than him!
- He, apparently, wants to stay on with the Super Eagles of Nigeria; apparently, in furtherance of his dream of making a big name for himself as coach!
- He loves Nigeria and loves working with the Super Eagles players.
- He has a gentlemanly mien and understands the African mentality.
- He has a very good working relationship with the Super Eagles' players and other players generally. Apart from thriving well as their coach as a consequence; he has exploited this ability to help convince foreign-born players of Nigerian ancestry to switch allegiance to Nigeria, soccer wise. In order words, he is a good players' manager!
- For reasons of continuity, it would be better to stick to Coach Rohr! Since soccer is a team event, continuity is very important in building a team! More especially, considering the fact the 2022 World cup qualifiers would commence in march 2020, changing the coaching guards now could be 'disastrous'!!!!!
from the foregoing, the NFF, should under normal circumstances, renew the contract of Coach Gernot Rohr, and let all and sundry focus on the difficult challenges ahead!!!!!
UP SUPER EAGLES! UP NIGERIA!!!!!!!!!
The book "Super Eagles of Nigeria : Pride of Africa", can also be gotten through the author. One can contact the author through : firstname.lastname@example.org Please note in this case, payment of postage costs will be necessary