FROM THE PREACHER'S LENSES
|Thursday, January 19, 2023|
n a short while, we shall go the poll again to decide who will captain the ship of the nation and the different states for the next four years and choose the law makers as well. Who governs us determines how pleasant and how unpleasant our life will be in the four years to come.
God, our creator loves us and He wants us to enjoy our lives to the fullest, so He is very interested in who governs us. King Solomon, the man acclaimed to be the wisest man that ever lived was recorded in the Bible in Proverbs 29:2 to have said that when the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked rule, the people mourn. Apostle Paul was also recorded in his 1st letter to his spiritual son Timothy in 2: 2 to pray for kings and everyone who is in authority so that we can live a quiet and peaceful life in complete godliness and dignity.
So if we do not want to mourn in the next four years but rejoice, if we want to live a quiet and peaceful life in the next four years, then the election of who is thrown up to govern our nation, the different states and who are elected to make rules should be the concern of everyone. It is a process that concerns every Nigerian; home and abroad. The people in Diaspora have many relatives at home, so they should be equally concerned. So serious prayer is needed so that we can vote for those who will provide for us, an environment, which will permit us to live a quiet and peaceful life. Serious prayer is needed so that we can vote for the candidates who will be prudent with the common wealth and will block all avenues of siphoning the commonwealth into private pockets. We cannot afford to vote for anyone whose intention is to lord a particular religion or promote any particular religion on the nation because the outcome, usually ends in war and you won't want that. This election is also very crucial because the majority of the population have been decimated over the years and security as well, has been of concern like never before.
My plan is to read to you some prayer points, as the Holy Spirit ministered to me.
In the meantime, let us pray.
As I earlier said, I will be highlighting some prayer points concerning the forthcoming election as the Holy Spirit ministered to me.
1. We are a very religious nation but our religiosity is yet to connect with Godliness. There are two forces, striving for the control of our hearts; the Spirit of God and that of Satan. Satan entices us to things that are appealing but which the end is doom and eternal death. This force is in operation in the hearts of the largest population of Nigerians and that is why Nigeria is what it is today. So pray that Nigerians will allow the Spirit of God to take the control of their hearts so that we can pay less attention to religious activities but more to Godliness so that we can live a quiet life and live in peace and we can eat the good of this land. Pray for national revival.
2. Pray that God will change our mind set, turn our hearts; Nigerians to the right; government and the governed, so that we can understand the root cause of our hardship and pray for knowledge for the solution.
3. Pray that our political leaders repent of their selfishness, feeding fat on our wealth. Pray that they be committed to the welfare of the citizens.
4. Pray that God will open our eyes to that candidate who had a track record of financial prudence and frugality, when he was once in the government, who frowned at wastage of government resources. Pray that we do not throw away the baby with the bath water, that his tribe or religion will not make us to reject him.
5. If we are going to tell ourselves the hard, home truth, we cannot expect a Nigeria that will improve the life of the common man come 2023 if any of the leading parties gets to the throne because they are the same people who have been doing the same thing over and over the years, impoverishing the citizens. What hope do we have that they will do differently this time? Of course, we citizens have the largest blame. However, I believe that there is nothing impossible with God. Pray that, if it is one of them that God still wants to use to free us of our miserable life, that He will work out a miracle and give the candidate a regenerated heart, touch and prepare his heart to work for the alleviation of our suffering. Pray that God reveals to our hearts that candidate, who He (God) will prepare so that we can vote for him.
6. Pray that we citizens of Nigeria have the understanding that our individual and collective lasting and enduring prosperity hangs on the prosperity of the nation. Pray that we all be committed to work for the prosperity of Nigeria and we will have no respect for anyone who is sabotaging our commonwealth in any way.
7. Pray that Pastors and Imams who have large followers understand that their duty includes participation in how the government is run. Pray that they preach sermons, which will make our Politicians and others in government uncomfortable, and the sermons will lead them to repentance and restitution.
8. Pray that citizens become Godly so that an enabling environment will be created, so that righteous people in the society can come out to participate in politics and contest for posts.
9. God gave us religion for our benefit, to set our paths right. Unfortunately, in Nigeria, a group of people are using it as a tool of intimidation and oppression to achieve their ambition. Pray that they do not set the nation aflame with their utterances.