|Saturday, September 23, 2023|
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.” 1 Tim 4:12.
n Part 1 we discussed how you can be despised. In this part we look how you cannot be despised. Five ways not to despise your youth
1. Realize you are a youth now, but you will not remain a youth forever. Seize this Karios opportunity and moment. Napoleon was just 27 when he conquered Italy. Columbus had planed out trip on how to discover India at the age of 28. William Booth was 20 when he resolve to be useful in Salvation Army with such resolves as to read the Bible daily. Isaac Newton was 24 when he formulated the law of gravity. Alexander the Great conquered the whole world at 23. Our saviour Jesus Christ died and saved the world from sin at the age of 33. At 26 Joseph Ayo Babalola raised the dead. At 32 General Yakubu Gowon was the Head of State in Nigeria. At 30 Amos Dada stated CAC Bethel Effurun Warri. At 45 he started International Gathering of Eagles Conference that has been held in 46 nations. What have you started? If none do it now! Taylor Smith has this to say “If you are careless as a youth you will be careless as adult. If you are prayer-less as a youth you will be prayer-less as adult . If you are slack and lazy as a youth you will be slack and lazy as an adult. ”Who you are in your youth is what you are likely. You are 25 you are doing yahoo yahoo, defrauding, raping women, engaging in prostitution , engaging in all sorts of addiction. Engage in positive , credible, profit oriented career. No you have all it takes to be a world changer for better- start it now. Take your pen and paper - write ten things you can do to affect your world positively, include raising building your home and raising godly children.
2. Don’t entangle yourself with the wrong company and wrong life style. The prodigal son found himself among people struggling to eat pigs food before realizing he has missed it. “He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed” Prov 13:20 As they say there are three groups of people . Low minded people who always talk about people, average people who always discuss events and high power and intelligent ones who always discuss ideas . A sheep walking with dogs will eventually eat feaces. Align yourself with the right people . Paul was telling Timothy to lead not only by example but from the front. Show believers what it means to live. Wave off men, women, friends, colleagues relations that are empowered to despise you. The nay sayers. Any one leading you to sin, ungodly lifestyles, crimes, alcoholism, lust. Develop a godly attitude. Before you read further- take a pen and paper and list ten people in your circle. Delete the dangerous ones.
3. Develop self confidence- “And David said to Saul, Let no man's heart fail because of him; thy servant will go and fight with this Philistine.” 1 Sam 17: 32. Develop audacity and the ability to take risks. You have a business idea pursue it. Instead of complaining there is no job, develop the confidence to create a platform for yourself and others. Today many young couples are divorcing themselves as if there is no remedy to marital challenges. Develop the confidence you can pull through. Stop looking for excuses and blaming your partners. Take pen and paper write ten ways you can develop your confidence- identify where you have procrastinated, lazy and dust yourself up.
4. Engage yourself gainfully. You need money on planet earth to pay bills, buy houses, car, clothes and food . You can either be employed or run your own business .Find your purpose and pursue it. Work hard and work smart. A man of God says “youth, don’t take it easy” Be busy in a positive way . If you are in school be focused. If you are married build that marriage. Take pen and paper - write ten ways you can gainfully engage yourself.
5. Discipline yourself. Discipline is the quality of being able to behave and work in a controlled way which involves obeying particular rules or standards. Self-discipline is the ability to control and regulate oneself in order to achieve goals or maintain a desired lifestyle. It involves making conscious choices that align with long-term objectives rather than succumbing to immediate gratification or distractions. Self-discipline requires consistent practice, determination, and the willingness to resist temptations or overcome obstacles along the way. Life is full of distractions. One major distraction in our age is social media. So many social platforms, skits, movies, songs to watch or listen to that does not add value to your life. There are three types of discipline. Preventive Discipline, Supportive Discipline and Corrective Discipline. You need all three. You must be disciplined in thought, word, and deed. Consciously train yourself to do those things that are good for you.” “We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.” “You cannot aim yourself at anything if you are completely undisciplined and untutored. Take your pen and paper write ten ways you know you can discipline yourself include, limiting hours on social media, not taking every phone call, delegating minimum of 30 minutes a day to read Bible and pray, dietary restrictions, no more caffeine, cannabis ( if you are in it already), go to church every Sunday to hear God’s word and fellowship etc.
In conclusion, your youth is when you are in your peak of life, your prime, the peak of your parabolic life . Make use of it . I like these lines from Solomon: “ Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom.”Eccl 9:10 . Life your youthful life so well that when you are old you will share it with your children, grandchildren with joy and knowing you are not a liar. I wish you happy youthful life in Jesus name .