“And when the people saw that Moses delayed to come down out of the mount, the people gathered themselves together unto Aaron, and said unto him, “Up, make us gods, which shall go before us; for as for this Moses, the man that brought us up out of the land of Egypt, we wot not what is become of him.” Ex 32:1. Please read Ex 32.
he Holy Spirit opened my heart to some vital lessons we can learn from the narrative of Ex 32. The short background is that the people of Israel were in bondage for 430 years and God chose a leader in the person of Moses to be assisted by his older brother Aaron, to lead them out of bondage . After a series of miracles which devastated the Egyptians, God released them to go to their promised land, but even though they left the land physically, their heart was still locked up in Egypt, which is the beginning of our lesson.
- No matter how long you are in bondage, how long you have been oppressed, if you are his covenant child God knows about you and he will get you out, not necessarily the way you planned, if you will cry to him.
- God knows the Moses, those genuine, hardworking, men of God that he will send to deliver you. Follow them wholeheartedly.
- God will always call men of God to Mount Sinai to receive from him revelations, laws, instructions to help you develop a better understanding of Him and sound relationship. Learn to withdraw to seek God’s face for fresh revelations.
- VS 1. As pastors and leaders you cannot leave your congregation for too long, they have emotional attachment to you. Aways stay close. As a church member must you complain every time you don’t see your pastor?
- V2. People of God should mature, and expect their leaders to go to the mountain or other assignments without being distracted.Are you easily distracted as a Christian?Check your walk with God!
- V2. Lack of maturity characterizes the life of many believers, the moment they do not see their leaders, instead of caring for him as he has been caring for them they reject him and start looking for alternatives. It should not be so. Beware of running after every new Pastor in town, every Prayerline. Every miracle worker in town. You may find yourself building a molten calf.Be careful!
- Pastor, bear in mind that you are not indispensable. Church members have an alternative for you. Without Moses they will turn and follow Aaron! Stop killing yourself over this membership thing- my member, my member- stop it!
- Pastor, make sure you have your own personal relationship with God. The people you call your members belong to God. The moment you are not there they will go to another church or have another leader to take your position in that church! Hard to say but you have no member!
- V1. Immaturity led the Israelites to abandon God to seek for a molten calf. Stop looking for molten calves, man made God. Latest thing in town!
- V1.People of God stop replacing the love of the living God with a dead idol. How can you compare a calf you made with your hands to the miracle working God? Stop making deadly suggestions to pastors they may not be able to handle. Aaron should have rebuked them but strangely he fell into their trap. Ministers stop taking instructions from your members- they will lead you to the molten calf! Learn from Aaron!
- Vs 2 . Did you notice how they were removing their gold and silver earrings and nose rings to make idols? It shows that people always find resources to use, if they choose to; sometimes they just choose the molten calf. That is why I say everyone pays tithe it is a matter of who you pay to: God or Satan. Whom you spend your money for will multiply it for you. At the inception of ministry in Toronto. I ran to Nigeria to look for money. My father in-law said if God sent you to Canada the resources is there. How true. The resources for your church project is within your reach. Most times people use money meant for God’s project for nonsensical things!
- V4. The people were given a molten calf and accepted it as God. It is very easy to backslide! Never replace the true God with fake gods. Be warned! Psalm 115:4-8
- V5. Aaron built an Altar of idol for them. There are churches and they are churches in our generation too. Don’t just go to any church, find out what the altar represents. Stop seeking for altars where your blood will be used for the next sacrifice!
- Vs6. “and the people sat down to eat and to drink, and rose up to play!” Is that your level of Christianity? Is it to collect miracles and gamble away your life recklessly like the prodigal son? Christianity is not for jokers and unserious minded people. Churches are not picnics(amusement packs) but clinics healing centres.
- V6. Rather than rise to eat and drink and play- occupy for the Lord. Go out and win souls. Be committed in your church. Be a pillar not a caterpillar. A producer and asset not a consumer abd a liability.
- V7. God said .. “thy people, which thou broughtest out of the land of Egypt, have corrupted themselves” Do you realize you cannot corrupt God or the church? You can only corrupt yourself. In any church where you commit fornication or adultery, or any sin, the church is not corrupt, it is you the individual- that is why you have your name. And God will deal with corrupters.
- V10. “that my wrath may wax hot against them, and that I may consume them: and I will make of thee a great nation” Stop provoking God. God is a consuming fire. He can destroy you in a jiffy! Ultimately you suffer for any sin committed. Trust me.
- V10- God wanted to “make a new and great nation” from Moses. May God give us Pastors with the spirit of meekness and intercession today. Moses rejected the offer-he appeals to God’s mercy and faithfulness, Wow! He pleaded with God not to destroy the people. O Lord destroy our ego, selfishness and self-centred attitude.
- V26. “Then Moses stood in the gate of the camp, and said, Who is on the Lord's side? let him come unto me. And all the sons of Levi gathered themselves together unto him.” Seize every opportunity to change your family history from a cursed generation to a blessed generation. Jacob cursed the lineage of Levi, (Gen 49)but when Moses gave everyone an opportunity to be on God’s side, only the Levites accepted and today they are known to be the priesthood generation. You can change your family history and name from Ogun, Ifa, Awo, and bring your entire generation from idolatry to the loving arms of Jesus to become Pastors and Bishops. Lead your family from idols to Christ you will be glad you did!
- . V35. “And the Lord plagued the people, because they made the calf, which Aaron made.” Whether you are an unbeliever or a believer, whoever makes molten calves, whoever continues to sin and fails to repent will be punished right here on earth and sent to hell in the hereafter if they failed to repent!The wages of sin is death. Don’t deceive yourself that you will commit sin and repent later, it will be too late. You will account for every pornography you watch, idle talks, careless gossip, molten calves you contribute to build inside or outside the church.
Conclusion: Gbile Akanni said anytime you sin, and you confess God forgives you, but you are brought to ground zero and you have to start again. Furthermore, forgiveness does not obliterate the scars of your sin. People of God, the lesson of Ex 32 is that you should know God personally, don’t be easily distracted to abandon God and serve idols either in the presence or absence of your spiritual leader or pastor. You can only corrupt yourself, not God or His church. God will always plague all molten calf makers. Don’t be one of them! Shalom.