|Friday, January 3, 2020|
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“John said to Jesus, “Master, we saw someone using your name to cast out demons, but we told him to stop because he isn’t in our group.” 50 But Jesus said, “Don’t stop him! Anyone who is not against you is for you”. Lk 9:49-50
od help the bride of Christ, the church and the body of Christ today is my sincere prayer. Can you imagine the fragmentation, cacophony, disunity that the church today is engulfed in? Imagine the disunity among the Pentecostals, evangelicals, mainline churches. Imagine the fragmentation within the Anglicans alone. Everyone proposes and alludes to their doctrines and believes they have the monopoly of God. We criticize one another as if that is the criterial for making heaven.
The Holy Spirit through the scripture above reminds me that it’s important that we stop majoring in minors and we should focus on the major part of this gospel. The name of Jesus!
I want to remind us of two scriptures: “Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; One Lord, one faith, one baptism, One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all” Eph 4:3-6
Here’s another one: “For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man. 1 Cor 3:3-5.
Whereas it is practically impossible for us to have one denomination, it is important that we stop drumming the drum of division amongst ourselves.
The major effect of disunity in the church is that we turn potential believers away. Scarcely can you hear a sermon without the minister condemning, disparaging the other church. Can you imagine the confusion of a young believer when he sees 4 - 5 if not more churches in one building ? Are there not enough churches that young upcoming minister of God can team up with? Must we continue with this independent churches that are built to fan and finance individuals empires?
Jesus says stop criticizing one another . Have the same goal, pursue one purpose .
This is what I believe the Holy Spirit is saying to the church today with respect to unity of purpose :
1. Develop the mind-set of one purpose - exalting Jesus. Wining souls for Jesus, promoting Jesus, lifting up Jesus. The scripture says “when I am lifted up I will draw all men to myself” Jn 12:32
2. Stop believing you have the monopoly of God. God can use anyone. Drop the idea that you or your denomination have ideal way of serving God.
3. Focus on preaching Christ instead of criticizing other churches and ministers. That does not mean I endorse people who are outrightly evil. Rather if you don’t believe in tithing and the other minister believes in tithing, stop wasting your energy criticizing one another . There is no ministry that does not need money or use money it only means the way God supplies your need is different from the other one. As long as they are not using evil means to generate funds, let them be. Thank God for the way He is providing for your ministry. 1 Thes 5:18
4. Procedures and Processes differ. That you are shouting and the other is quiet does not mean there are no scriptures for each approach. That you have slow music and others have fast tempo is immaterial . What matters is the lyrics. Are the lyrics propagating the gospel or exalting the flesh. God loves worship, use worship to magnify Christ and souls will be set free and many will be delivered. Don’t preach another gospel. Jesus never used the same method for healing all the time he was on earth. Don’t put Jesus in your denominational box! Gal 1:8, 2 Cor 11:4.
5. Use the name of Jesus. “Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.” Let us be united in using the name of Jesus. Acts 4:12. Jesus “ I am the Way, The Truth and TheLife” Period!
6. Use the power of the Holy Ghost . “But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.” Acts 1:8. There is sufficient power in Christ to accomplish His agenda on earth. We don’t need occultic or voodoo power. Let us be united in depending on the Holy Ghost.
7. Use the Word. The bible is the Word. Jesus is the Word. There is power in the Word. There is healing, deliverance, prosperity and life in the Word. That is our common denominator. Heb. 4:12. You don’t need extrajudicial books and powers to proclaim Christ!
Conclusion: We have more to unite us in Christ than to divide us. Divided we will fall united we will stand. Let us be united in using the name of Jesus to propagate and proclaim the gospel. When you see another man not in your denomination or using your method to preach the gospel Jesus says: Don’t stop him! Anyone who is not against you is for you”. Lk 9:49-50.